Meadowlark,

Thanks for the imput on my project. I have been picking away around the edges of the silt with the hoe just trying to get it to drain and hopefully it will be dry enough this year to get some of the silt out. It has been wet here in northwestern Pennsylvania for 2 years now--even in mid-summer.

I don't know alot about soils but I am hoping I can use the silt for my yard--but don't know if grass will grow in it very well yet. I realize it's going to take several years of picking around it to just get it dry enough to work in but I don't have the money right now to pay a track-hoe operator to do it. I might try to get someone with a small tractor-hoe to help get the silt in the valley to drain.

As soon as I can borrow a digital camera I will try to get some pics of the site posted so members will have an idea of what I am dealing with. I'm sure that will help them give me some specific advice. This post doesn't seem to generate much in the way of response yet and it will be a long project unless some extra funds emerge somehow.

Thanks for your reply. From what research I have done the natural spillway seems to be the best way to discharge the excess water and I do have enough stones and rocks to line it. It will be very beautiful with lots of large natural stones and nice clear water.

mossie