Here is the results of adding some rock to prevent the bank erosion in the pictures of the previous post. I still need to do a little hand leveling with a rake or shovel to even it out but otherwise this is the amount of rock it will get.

I only did about a fourth the way around the pond where the wave action was causing problems. In the third picture of the previous post you will see dormant water primrose protecting the bank from erosion. Where I had the water primrose and no erosion I did not put the rock. The Primrose should come back this spring and protect the bank in those locations. If it doesn't, I'll add rock as needed.

A couple years ago I heard one comment where some people did not like the looks of the rock. I can appreciate that but can also vouch that in about three years the rock will not even be seen. Grass will grow up and cover it up where it is not even noticeable. The difference being with only grass wave action can still wash out the dirt among the roots and undercut the dam. With the rocks the grass roots will be interwoven in the rocks creating a solid wave barrier protecting the dam or shore line. It has worked well in my main pond.

The crushed limestone rocks used are what is called locally as "lateral rock". It is cleaned rock used in septic system drain fields. It is about 2-3" in diameter. In this one acre pond it should work well. In a big pond or lake with larger waves larger rock would be needed to keep it from washing away into deeper water.

Attached Images
20180407_184652 (600 x 600).jpg
Last edited by snrub; 04/08/18 11:00 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine