I have zero experience with winter aereation, but can offer what I think I know from reading up on the subject of aereation in general and experience with summer aereation. Then the experts with actual experience can come along and give you some real advice.

For winter aereation, it is my understanding that it is advisible to put the diffusers in shallow water so you do not turn the entire body of water. Something like 3 to 5 ft depth. This should give you cold water refuge above for trout and warmer water below. Maybe with such deep water you could even go to 8 feet or so.

The other thing about diffusers, is their main purpose is to move water. Small bubbles move more water than large bubbles. So most diffusers are designed to have small bubbles. You might want to make a specific diffuser for cold water out of a piece of PVC pipe with lots of small 1/16" holes drilled and weight it in place in 3 to 5 feet of water for winter. Large bubbles, as I understand it, move less water but they do a better job of creating wave action and turbulence to keep ice holes open.

Just some ideas from my reading. Some experts will be along with real, experienced advice.

Last edited by snrub; 12/18/17 12:13 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine