Thanks Bill.

My theory now is that, maybe 30+ years ago, my dad and grandad put Israeli Carp in the pond to control weeds. I thought they were sterile, they may have thought that too but possibly they were asked if there were LMB in the pond thinking they would control their reproduction. Likely the LMB did just that until a termite treatment gone bad killed everything but the Israeli and Grass Carp added later. I am confident the Grass Carp are sterile.

When the muskrats holed a bank, drew the pond down and the normal Spring feed stopped, the pond had little circulation and stayed low and muddy until I repaired the banks and restored the feed this summer. Grass and Israeli carp kept it muddy for many years. Now it has cleared considerably and has a healthy color. I have added cover and will stock this fall (FHM, BG, RESF, LMB) and hope for the best.

I have to take every opportunity to thank the forum for its advice, direct and indirect. Pond management might well be a known science but ponds and lakes vary so much that there are few absolutes and anecdotal evidence is really valuable. Though I've been with this pond off and on for 60+ years, I've never enjoyed it more. This forum has had quite a positive effect on that enjoyment ..... thanks for that.

Last edited by Mal; 10/19/17 08:35 AM.

1.3 A, 80 yr old, renovation summer 2017, SW VA, 2000' elevation, Shallow, Spring Fed, Little Watershed, Stock Fall '17 with LMB, BG, RESF, FHM. Indigenous: Triploid Grass Carp, Israeli Carp, GSH