Great forum guys.

I have a 1.3 acre pond that was 50 yrs ago, a great bass and bluegill producer. A termite treatment gone bad about 25 years ago resulted in a massive fish kill. All that survived were the grass carp and a few Israeli carp. They are still there. Muskrats took out one bank and the Spring that fed the pond bypassed. It sat like that for 20 years.

I wish I had studied the situation prior to renovation but I needed fencing and decided to let them fix the pond. Knowing what I know now, I might have done things differently but I'm satisfied with the result.

The pond is back to being Spring fed from a Spring about 80 yards away and by some internal springs. During rainy spells 10 k gallons flow out per day. The flow slowed but never stopped with 25 days without rain. Mid summer water temperatures approached but never hit 80. PH seems constant at 6.5 or so. The pond is shallow, 18 inches at the feed end and near banks and 5 ft +\- at the deepest with little variation. It was muddy for years, I think due to the carp digging for vegetation as I could see them doing it. There was no vegetation visible. Since renovation, the water has cleared considerably and taken on a greenish brown tint with about 12 inches visibility.

There is very little watershed, mostly the springs, no livestock at all. I use 2, 6 inch standpipes for drainage and currently NO spillway. 2 inches of rain the other day, one inch in an hr did not stress the drain.

I have contracted for stocking. The numbers are proprietary but heavy BG, FHM, some RESF and not many LMB. I'll provide some habitat and nesting gravel but no feeding.

I look forward to a lot of reading here and a bit of posting as my pond ( I suppose it is technically a Lake) teaches me.

Advice, criticism, name calling, disaster predictions are all welcome; I have very thick skin.

1.3 A, 80 yr old, renovation summer 2017, SW VA, 2000' elevation, Shallow, Spring Fed, Little Watershed, Stock Fall '17 with LMB, BG, RESF, FHM. Indigenous: Triploid Grass Carp, Israeli Carp, GSH