Originally Posted By: tallryan610
Curious on why it is that three places I have talked with all say stock some amount of FHM in my pond. They all say it's to keep the bass from wearing the BG out. The range of amounts they say are 5, 10, and 20 lb. Spring and Fall.

All places say don't fertilize either.

If my catfish eat pellets (remember I believe I only have 9 of them) I have read and been told they will leave the BG mostly alone because they like the pellet food and they will be full. Also, they are much harder to catch on a hotdogs or bait.

Any truth to that?

Appreciate all the wonderful info on the site.

They are fisheries, they sell fish! Even if they're not being malicious, they just don't have the knowledge about how to manage fish populations.

You might not need to fertilize depending on what kind of run-off you get, and in a mature eutrophic pond you won't need to either.

Catfish will eat whatever they can fit in their mouths. We need to see some numbers on length & weight to be able to guess what's going on. If you have nine 5-10# catfish they're eating a lot of smaller fish. You might be able to catch them with pellet lures from Stubby Steve.