We have this same conversation nearly every year, and the same questions are asked each time. So I'll start off with my usual query:

Is it necessary to actually kill the trophy buck? Remember a year or two ago when I asked about future, sci-fi hunting weapon advancements that might allow one to just stun the animal? Knock it down, take some photos, measurements for a replica, then watch it get up and walk away....kinda like throwing back that trophy BG, huh?

RAH claims it's cheaper to buy meat, so let's assume that's true. In that case we don't need to eat the trophy buck, so that eliminates that as a reason for killing it.

That leaves me with asking the hard question. As hunters, do we need to see blood in order to gain satisfaction from the hunt? Be honest, Is it really about food, or genetic improvement, or curbing overpopulation issues, or is it actually about stroking our egos, everytime we look up at those antlers hanging on the wall?

Keep in mind that I'm a hunter myself, and I have no problem with others killing deer...none whatsoever. I'm just convinced that the real reason for killing a trophy deer, any trophy animal actually, is too often obscured underneath a cause deemed more noble.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.