Well... a few days ago, I was surprised by a Rustoleum product I had never seen before. I accidentally ran across it at Lowes. Lowes Self Etching Dark Green Primer

I think most of you know me well enough to know that I'm not here to push some "miracle product" ... like, "buy this, and you'll get a free ginzoo knife ..." That ain't going to happen. I have no connection with Rustoleum nor Lowes.

But, my old 14-foot Grumman jon boat has recently been sitting near the tractor barn for several months, and it has been crying out to go to the beauty parlor. A few days ago it really made me feel guilty when I was putting new lights on the trailer, plus I did a little bit of welding and then paint touch-up on the trailer.

Yesterday, I ran across the paint mentioned above as I was looking for some paint for another project. I saw this primer/color, and saw the "self etching" on the label. I brought a can home, did a little research about it, did a little bit of cleaning on my old boat, and sprayed it on parts of the boat.

I know this probably sounds like the Long Island NY TV salesman selling some crazy product to waterproof the screen door on the bottom of his boat, but ...

In this morning's daylight, I couldn't tell a color difference between where I sprayed it on bare spots and the boat's original 1980s paint color. I hadn't even seriously cleaned the boat before spraying it.

I needed more supplies this afternoon. I got three more spray cans of this paint. Tomorrow morning, I'm gong to scrub the boat with paint thinner, then detergent, and finally with vinegar. Then, I'll take the pressure washer to cleanse it, then dry in the sun for an hour or so. Then I'll spray it with this crazy paint. (It will certainly be after the late morning/early afternoon winds come up. The first few ingredients on the can shows it is made from toluene, acetone, and xylene.

What little I did last night really looks good. We'll see what happens.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!