This observation is different, but I think somewhat related.

My fish are trained to come to the sound of my Polaris 900 UTV. They hear it approaching or going around the pond and I see fish wakes racing towards the sound.

If I am in a hurry I will make one single round the pond throwing feed out. If I am more leisurely I go around once and feed at a lesser rate so I have some feed to make a second round. There are at least as many if not more fish the second go-round, supporting your observation.

Now another observation. If I walk out to the pond, a few fish will come towards my footsteps but not nearly as many as with the UTV. If I throw some feed out a few will start feeding, but not too many. But if I stand there for a while and throw out more feed, over time lots of fish will show up and ultimately be as many as if I had approached with the UTV.

It appears to me my fish have at least three "dinner bells". One is the sound/vibration of the UTV. The other is the sound of my footsteps (or perhaps sight) on the bank or especially on the dock. The third is the sound of other fish splashing at the surface getting feed. I think fish are very attuned to the sound of other fish feeding. Probably not only on the pellets I feed, but I would guess on natural food like bugs, etc. In other words, if a few BG start hitting bugs landing on the surface it sends a signal to other fish "hey, someones eating, I better check it out".

So I would think the multiple feedings close together probably rings the "dinner bell" for other fish in the area. They come to check out what others are getting for supper.

My thoughts on fish psychology.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine