I have a 1+acre pond in NC. It has a maximum depth of 6.5 feet and averages about 4ft in depth. It is about 40yrs old and has about 6 inches or so of muck in most places. I am about 4 or 5 years from moving onto the property but I would like to start managing both the fish population and the muck.

I've seen several muck reducing bacteria products that I might like to try. There are several 1 lb muck pucks that treat 1 acre ft of water or 325,000 gallons each. I'm not quite sure what that means though. If I have a 1 acre pond would I figure out the square footage of it to determine how many pucks I should use or should I try to figure out how many gallons of water are in the pond to determine how many pucks I would need per treatment?

Next, is it realistic to expect that with a continued treatment plan, I actually can reduce the muck with these bio-pucks? I really don't want to drain the pond and scoop the muck out, I am of the impression that despite the 40yrs, the much isn't all that bad, but I'd still like it gone especially from certain areas of the pond. I'm looking to remove it from the beach area and some other spots to promote spawning areas for my fish. I have LMB and CNBG.