Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
esshup, that is a tough definition to create and enforce (tough on us MI pond owners). IF the definition of private is that there is no way water can get to a local stream or lake then if you parse the words finely enough all ponds would be public. My pond doesn't overflow into a ditch, river, stream or pond, but doesn't all water eventually have a possibility of flowing over land and find another puddle which can then overflow to the next stream etc? Who gets to define how close that next stream or puddle is to mine to call it an 'oulet'?

Rainman, I've talked with the MI DEQ/DNR and asked what do I do about stocking fish that are not on the approved aquaculture list and not on the forbidden 'invasives' list. They really didn't have an idea but didn't feel like they had to worry about it as they didn't think I would be able to figure out a way to get them trucked in or shipped in. I was asking about hybrids that weren't on either list but yet could be ordered online or transported by private parties. I've heard rumors that if they found HSB in my pond I would have to nuke my pond. But I did get them to admit that since my pond has no inlet or outlet it is out of their jurisdiction so I can do what I want with it (outside of put the invasives form that list in)

I wish they would make the process less grey and work with fish haulers who want to work within the rules.

For TP specifically, the real question is how can they be a threat to local streams and lakes?

Canyon, any person that ships, arranges to be shipped or causes to be shipped, any species to MI (or anywhere) that is not approved in MI is in violation of the Lacey Act of 1900, so is the person ordering the species.....you can also theoretically have heroine shipped into MI...still ain't legal for the shipper, or buyer....The Lacey Act says all Local, State, Federal, and Foreign laws must be followed in any interstate wildlife commerce/transportation....Any value over $350 makes any violation of the Lacey Act, a Felony....The USF&W values Tilapia at $14 per fish, so only 25 fish will make you a Felon....and about $25,000 poorer.

If you qualify for, and can get an Aquaculture permit, you are also allowed to import your stock as long as the health requirements are being met for some species...Tilapia are on the approved species list in the MI Aquaculture permit application...

Last edited by Rainman; 04/15/17 09:45 AM.