Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Funky,
I found a local aquaponics outfit that would sell small TP, fry, or for big bucks, some breeding pairs. That was too pricey for me so I ended up scouring Craigslist and found another aquaponics enthusiast who had some for me growing in his basement. The next spring he lost interest in aquaponics and moved to a smaller house to he couldn't supply me anymore. Check CL.

Also you can buy on ebay. You want blue TP.

I hope someday a fish hauler from a nearby state will navigate the permit process and be able to truck them in to SW and SE MI.

They are allowed in MI (or I should say they are not on the 'not allowed' list) but things get a little murky if your pond has an inlet or outlet to existing waterways which mine does not.

Canyoncreek, wildlife laws are "restrictive", meaning if anything is not specifically allowed or "legal", it is illegal. If Tilapia are not on an approved species list, or allowed as a "restricted" species, it's not allowed....it's not a grey area.

All that said, Tilapia ARE on the Aquaculture facility "Approved Species" list. Also, Michigan says an Aquaculture permit is not required for private waters and private use.

MI Aquaculture Permit Application

MDARD info page on permits

Michigan Wildlife laws may contradict, or be more restrictive on, the Agricultural laws. Similar to Illinois Gun Laws....what may be legal by Illinois State law, may be illegal by Illinois wildlife codes.