Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
others go away because they ignore their renewal notices. Believe it or not, that's a big one. Several times, I've personally sat down, called people or sent them a personal letter, reminding them to renew. They always do, with the statement, "I guess I just forgot." I'm thinking about setting up an automatic renewal system like lots of other businesses do. I bet our renewal rate would rise beyond 75% if we did that.

That is me in a nutshell as I will miss the renewal. The reason why I also suggested a 5yr subscription option is because I also do not like to do anything auto renewal. I personally would not even require a discount in price, but just figured it would work better for getting others on board. Also I do not know how many times a spouse has decided to order their special someone a different kind of magazine (because they did not understand the difference) for a gift when they see the renewal notice. I know I read those power motor yacht mags. LOL

Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk

The other option is a push for advertising on the forum. More banner ads on the top, more ads on both margins, and a harder individual push on members.

Something I noticed starting more in other places (even at my U sports forum) is a push for extras for donating / paying members. Note nothing involved in doing any less for the non-paying. It goes something like this you have extra forum exclusively for verified Pond Boss Magazine Subscribers / Forum Donators of xx AMOUNT. Have it were content can only be viewed by those verified after they log in. Also Like in my sports forum we have people that have earned a near permanent status even if the never make another donation due to their past body of work. Non-paying persons can see this Forum but do not have access until they are verified. All Advertisers & financial supporters also have access to offer any specials or bounce ideas off of these people since they are a verified specific target audience. As long as you can make that forum beneficial and the verified members talk about it publically others will join / purchase a magazine subscription just to get in there. It is also a lot easier for someone on a more restricted budget to justify membership if they can present to ones spouse how it is going to save them money in the long run. You know a hey honey I would have saved if I would have been a member and purchased that Texas Hunter feeder (not to mention I would have got that cool magazine.
wink