About 8 years ago I had intended on buying a new 4wd Kubota, but after realizing how absurd the additional cost of 4wd is compared to 2wd I opted to purchase a 45hp 2wd model, as opposed to paying the same price for a 25hp 4wd, or as opposed to paying an additional 6 or 7k for a 45hp 4wd.

I feel that tractor manufacturers are overcharging for 4wd due to their popularity, much like the auto makers do with pickup trucks. Four wheel drive used to be a relatively inexpensive option for a pickup, until a multitude of Southerners were summoned by the Redneck mating call of off-road tires humming on the asphalt.

Since my purchase, I have absolutely no regrets. Sure, there are rare occasions when I could probably use a 4wd. On those rare occasions I'm usually able to improvise by way of using counter weight, engaging the differential lock, changing angle of attack, or simply saying, “screw it” and proceed to move elsewhere and tear up something else. For the most part (97.25% of the time) I don't need 4wd. I certainly don't need it for mowing, road maintenance, and most FEL work. If I were backing out of a sand pit with a full bucket and loading dump trucks on a regular basis a 4wd would certainly come in handy.

A 2wd tractor also provides for a tighter, quicker turning radius without using the turning brake, less wear and tear on the turf when turning, fewer expensive moving parts, less maintenance, and whole lot less overconfidence when approaching a task you should probably avoid.............. I've yet to stick my 2wd. Not saying that I never will. I just tend to avoid those scenarios. Same goes for my 2wd pickup.

I'm not knocking 4wd tractors or pickups, as I think they're excellent machines to have. Just depends on a person's needs, or their desire to spend extra for an option they may rarely need. For me, monetarily, the ends don't justify the means............ I took the money I saved on my tractor purchase and spent it on implements, recreational activities, a new guitar, and a couple of girlfriends. smile