Originally Posted By: RAH
The manufacturer's that find ways to make durable machines will reap the rewards (think Japanese cars), and the rest will be forced to follow. Most cars now go 200K rather than 100K. The trend is clear but it has its ups and downs.. I am glad that I took care of my JD1070 and hope my 550G dozer and 410E hoe never die.

Exactly! In the beginning, catalytic converters and egr valves stopped up, and charcoal canisters filled vacuum passages with black granules. Taxi fleets, municipal shops, and dealership mechanics all cried and stomped their feet while administration watched productivity and the bottom line shrink.

But emission technology didn't go away. And the ones who stuck it out, learned to adapt. And the manufacturers learned also. And now, we seldom see issues at all. Diesel, will follow suit. Clean diesels are not going away...get on board, get left behind, or retire. You will need to make changes, and change is scary, but it will still happen.

Nothing wrong with holding on to pre emission diesels, nothing at all. But if no one buys new, then why would manufacturers continue production? If we all refuse to buy new, then there won't be any replacement when that old diesel eventually gives out. THEN, we wouldn't care if it burned wet leaves...we just want a replacement. I'm hoping that folks keep buying, and factories keep improving.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.