After a couple false starts due to changing forecasts, we decided today was the day. Felt a little strange, as the boys weren't on hand to help like they have been in years' past. They're spending the weekend at my mother's place, for the first time since we lost dad several months ago. Before he died this was a pretty regular occurrence, and since she asked to see them, and they both wanted to go, my wife and I both felt like it was best for everyone. It's been really tough for her, and she still has bad days now and then but I think she's doing much better.

So it was just the two of us, 25 degrees and bundled up from head to toe. In spite of the cold and the absent kids, it still felt good to be back in the woods. The quietness, the simplicity, even the cold itself, it all just felt right. I've missed that. I drilled the holes and set the spiles, and she hung the buckets and fastened the lids. Guess we still make a pretty good team, even after 28 years together, as we knocked it out in 2.5 hours.

We ended up with 60 buckets, and another 15 on 3/16 tubing. Too cold for sap to run today, but it looks promising shortly. Then the boys will get their turn, as it will be all hands on deck. Hopefully.

The tubing was left up all year, and it came through beautifully. We swapped out the old spiles for new, lengthened a couple drop lines, but found the lateral still up and tight. Never had to splice one time. No walnut this year, as we have sold our old property where the majority of those trees were located. I have a suspicion we will have additional walnut syrup in upcoming seasons, however. And I tapped a Sycamore today also. Lots of those here.

Hoping for 20 gallons finished syrup this year, but will of course be grateful for whatever nature provides. To the other sugarmakers on the forum, Good luck, and good runs!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.