Jared, the thing to remember about springs is that they can give and take. They are essentially "trapped" ground water that looks for an exit. I have a small pond that has a spring at the bottom. It is essentially a ground water pond with somewhat limited runoff area. In the Spring, the pond can be full due to good rains. But, as the trees around it start to put on leaves in the late Spring and then Summer, it dries up due to demand and evaporation. I have some pretty big oaks around it.

A creek on my place originates from springs on adjoining property that is higher. It ran for years. Then, we got a 5 year drought and the spring dried up. Even with our serious floods, the groundwater spring failed to recharge. Right now, it is running. But, it is a crap shoot later in the year.

An artesian, under pressure, is a whole different deal. I would love to have one but it seldom happens in arid North Texas. Actually, I guess we had one until the extended drought hit.

If the pond water is above the level in the spring, the pond water goes back to refresh the spring. It's all about water pressure filling a void.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 01/19/17 08:09 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP