Periodic. It is a pond specifically made to trap sediment coming off of agricurtural land and was a termination of a field terrace from that land. So in a big rain event it could get hundreds of times water exchange in a day or two then very little for months.

I put some RES in and BG would swim in during rain events and one year I got quite a bit of RES and hybrid RESxBG recruitment. But in a year with big rains the larger fish would end up belly up leaving only small fry. So because it was inconsistant, I could not keep unwanted fish from swimming upstream during larger rain events, and the final straw of the dying of my brood stock I just joined it together with the adjacent sediment pond with a 6" pipe. Now fish have an escape route and can flow down to a larger 1/10th acre BOW during large rain events and go back and forth as desired. Yet this initial pond is small enough I can clean it out with my backhoe should sediment get built up. I will add a link to the fish kill page here when I find it.
snrub's fish kill in his tiny pre-sediment pond

Last edited by snrub; 01/14/17 12:41 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine