Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: TGW1
.... I was wondering if I had numerous blooms this coming year, could it be controlled through dying the pond, reducing sunlight penetration. a light dye application over adding some alge controlling chemical. Not wanting to kill off a bloom but to control a bloom.

Bill C posted earlier...

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Dye at less than label concentration (variations of light blue hue) does have a less effect on the plankton and plant community. It is similar to taking 1/2 or one aspirin instead of 2 aspirin.

FWIW IMO it would be more desirable to suppress/reduce a bloom before it starts instead of trying to reduce it wants it starts. I would think that would reduce the potential of a DO crash compared to if you kill off the bloom. If it was my pond(and it's not smile ), I would go with Bill C's "1/2 aspirin" approach. Maybe reducing the depth of sunlight penetration to some degree would reduce/suppress the bloom in the deeper water and still allow some in the shallows??

If you think about, please post back with what you end up doing and how it turned out.

We did this half-measure treatment last year -- our first time using dye. It worked pretty well. We still had some FA but maybe 25% of what we had the previous year. Our place is old and hyper-eutrophic though.