Originally Posted By: TGW1
.... I was wondering if I had numerous blooms this coming year, could it be controlled through dying the pond, reducing sunlight penetration. a light dye application over adding some alge controlling chemical. Not wanting to kill off a bloom but to control a bloom.

Bill C posted earlier...

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Dye at less than label concentration (variations of light blue hue) does have a less effect on the plankton and plant community. It is similar to taking 1/2 or one aspirin instead of 2 aspirin.

FWIW IMO it would be more desirable to suppress/reduce a bloom before it starts instead of trying to reduce it wants it starts. I would think that would reduce the potential of a DO crash compared to if you "kill off" the bloom. If it was my pond(and it's not smile ), I would go with Bill C's "1/2 aspirin" approach from the beginning, before a bloom. Maybe reducing the depth of sunlight penetration to some degree would reduce/suppress the bloom in the deeper water and still allow some in the shallows??

Just my 1 cent....

If you think about, please post back with what you end up doing and how it turned out.

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/03/17 07:09 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!