Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

I think most pond dyes are sold as aesthetic improvement of the water especially if the water is muddy murky - lipstick on a pig. To my knowledge not a lot has been published about what colors and what concentrations have the biggest suppression of pond plant growth. Definitely more research is needed on this topic.

Thanks Bill. That explains why I've been so unsuccessful finding info on the subject.

I did find an old PBF thread titled "Lake Dye Comparisons" where there were discussions regarding various products. It seems there was an effort started to do some actual comparative testing of different products but no definitive results were published. Here is a link to the thread.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=34865&page=1

Cody Note- That planned study never developed very much past the talking stage. It sounds like a good science fair project or a college senior project. One of the main problems was being able to acurately measure the amount or concentration of the dye. It takes an instrument more sophisticated than a basic light spectrometer.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/01/17 03:42 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!