Originally Posted By: poppy65
Bill, are you seeing any YP recruitment with that combo? I've watch my SMB line up 4 at a time to take turns hammering a school of young YP and I see near zero recruitment. I also have BG and HBG and a few HSB. I do get a fair amount of HBG and BG recruitment

Hey Poppy,

All I can tell you is that when I was feeding last spring, I had a few 4 to 5 inch YP come up to eat with my little group of BG recruits near shore. The YP pretty much disappeared as the water warmed up. The YP had to be recruits from the 2015 spawn.

I was actually pretty happy with the pond balance in 2016. The larger BG caught were nice and fat and the predators had Rw of roughly 100+/-5%. I THINK low recruitment is what you are after if you want bigger BG and YP. My concern is 2017 and beyond as my predators grow and need more forage. I'm hoping now that the PS are spawning they will provide the additional forage needed for a while. The pond only has so much capacity so I know I need to keep harvesting predators like the LMB and CC. My question is once those guys are gone, if I'm seeing low recruitment on BG, PS and YP, which cool water predators should I harvest, how many and what size to keep them from over eating the forage? The other scenario is my pond ends up over populated by SF!

I haven't been having much luck with getting many inputs from the forum and I'm in uncharted waters for me. Trying to understand what I'm seeing and figuring out what to do next is definitely challenging.

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/27/16 05:04 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!