Al another thing I keep in my work truck, seldom use, but is good to have for occasional use or emergency is a metal blade for your 18 or 20 volt 5" battery powered circular saw. I use Ryobi brand that uses the 10mm center hole but others are made for other saws.

It is pretty hard on the saw and you sure want to be wearing protective clothing, but if you have a peice of angle or tube out on the dock or somewhere away from electricity and dont want to drag a torch out with some care and reason the little saw will get the job done. Not somthing to use for production work or building a project, but in a pinch is invaluable. Just be doubly aware that metal frags will go everywhere, so wear appropriate protection. The saw might see a shortened life if used that way constantly.

One of these blades stays in a compartment of my work truck, rarely gets used, but there if I need it.

The blade looks like an ordinary carbide wood blade but the set of the teeth is less, the carbide cutters are at almost 90 degrees (so does not suck into the metal like wood) and there is metal acting like a depth giude (like the depth/drag links on a chain saw chain) so the metal will not grab.

With carbide metal blades on metal, slow and steady is the key. Ram it in like you might wood and you will knock carbide cutters off. A careless operator can ruin an expensive metal blade in a heart beat. Yet used properly, can outlast many abrasive blades. On metal blades best to treat them like I treat my motorcycle and my wife. I don't loan them out because they may come back damaged. grin

Last edited by snrub; 12/27/16 07:00 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine