Thank you guys, your input it very valuable!

Brian, The $5-8K seems on the feasibly high side, but I would be doing this instead of putting a pool in which, I think would be similarly priced, if not on the low side, not to mention not having nearly as much character and having to buy chemicals and all that junk. I have some access to heavy equipment which I think will help with the budget.

snrub, I completely understand the mentality you are trying to convey. I'm trying to think realistically the same way! My assumption is that the good days you speak of come after many months/years of adjustments and maintenance, I think I'm ok with that. Once we get the insane amounts of honeysuckle under control I think we'll be a bit bored in the warm seasons on things to do...

RAH, I think that is the route I'm going. Below are some pictures of the layout. I'm thinking of having somewhat of a waterfall that I expect to have plants in and be able to control well to use to filter the water as it goes through.

fish, my gf and I have discussed liners and are concerned with the lifespan, we want something that'll last forever though re-claying the whole thing may be a bit cost prohibitive.

The left side of this picture is where I'm thinking of the waterfall and beneficial plants. The part that looks to fill up with water goes out to around the tree on the far left so I have some room to work with. I'm thinking of maybe using liners there in smallish sections, so I can control elevations and waterflow.

A better shot of the left side. That rock, in some satellite shots is touching water, though I haven't seen it that deep yet, but we also haven't been here through a full spring. Is it advisable to remove all the scrub plants through the winter or should I wait until we really start?

The third and fourth picture are the "dam" side but I thinks it's more a spillway. The ground, as seen in the fourth picture, is pretty level with a pipe running out of the high level of the pond to a semi-dry creek that's probably about 50-75 feet further back.

A panorama of the whole deal. It's about 90' long by about 50' wide.

Snort Coffee is a podcast about goofy stuff. Hope to add ponding to my list of hobbies.