Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
ebay has some very cool ones and I've tried nearly all of them. The igloo shape with multiple holes going in from the sides work pretty good for all sizes fish. The green mesh doesn't seem to scare them much and this spring at ice out the perch loved to go in there and lay there eggs in it.

Today I found a new style mesh trap that is a white mesh and smaller holes going in. It looks very promising. I'm going to give it a try.

new style mesh trap to try from China

I'm using the old metal style traps but only catching YOY RES, nothing else.

I did bait with hotdog pieces to see if I could get crayfish, notta. I did catch an adult LCS which was kind of cool.

I'm wondering if much of my minnow activity is not only just GSH minnows but also some LCS minnows and trying to catch them for a better look.

Crayfish will crawl out if the trap is just the size of a minnow trap. The best bait I have ever used is a 6mm sinking fish food. Not only can I fill the trap with minnow but crayfish too. I think the reason for the larger center section for the crayfish trap is because all they have is time. I feel all they do is walk and climb around on the trap till they find their way out.

Hotdogs, chicken, all that stuff never works as good as some fish feed that sinks.

Cheers Don.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 09/22/16 01:00 PM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.