Since the time I wrote in my first post, I had my second pond completed. I decided to go with a deep end of 8 feet and the shallow end at 5 feet. The first pond that was dug 6 years ago averages between 3-4 feet deep, so I figured to dig this pond a little deeper as I had a lot of evaporation problems these past summers.

When I connect this pond to my smaller pond next spring, it will be roughly 1 acres in total size. It took roughly 45 hours to dig the pond at .75 acres. 38 hours was devoted to dozer work (Komatsu D65), and 7 hours was used for an excavator, smaller dozer (D5H) and two dump trucks. The later equipment was used to build me a garage pad. In total, the project cost me just under 10K.

I am now at the point to add some fish habitat. I opted not to dig trenches as I was starting to hit some large rocks at the 8 foot mark. I also did not place any dirt mounds as the dozer operator recommended against it. I did put a couple large root balls to the side to put in later. I have a bunch of old tires I was thinking of chaining together. I am also looking at getting some broken cement blocks to pile up. Besides this, I am clueless on what to put in the pond for a good habitat.

My next project is putting in poles for building a dock. I thought I would do it now since the pond is dry. Would love to see other docks if anyone has some pictures. Feel free to send me some advice. I took some picture I can post if anyone shows some interest in seeing them. Thanks. Jack

Last edited by boomer2; 08/11/16 07:57 AM.

Jack
1 acre pond in N.Alabama