And yet another update. We had large multiple rain events and HUGE flow through a week or two ago. So I suspect most of the dye is gone due to both normal degradation as well as dilution.

Been noticing a week ago a little FA around the edges of the pond and out a few feet on the bottom. Today I have some floating out to a couple feet from the bank. I do not mind that. We do not keep this pond like an urban showcase property and I actually like a little FA around the edges for the critters and small fish refuge.

But I can see this is starting to take hold and possibly become a problem. So I added a couple more quarts of black dye today (supposedly a quart of this dye is equal to a gallon of ordinary pond dye - who knows if it is sales hype or the truth). That is on three acres with recommended rate of 1-2 quarts per acre. Will monitor it for a week and see if the FA stays at current levels or if it gets worse. If it gets worse may have to use a small amount of Cutrine liquid around the edges. Will wait and see.

I have some concern if I kill off all the FA the nutrient load will cause blue green algae to replace it. We had a problem with Blue green algae last year. But last year water levels were low with little flow through. I would think nutrient levels should be much lower this year do to the dilution effect. We will see what happens.

I have been very happy with the water quality so far this year. Hope it stays that way through the dog days of July/August.

Last edited by snrub; 07/20/16 12:40 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine