I don't know if there is any benefit, but I know that some fish seek it out at least part of the time. After a rain will have water running from the sediment pond into the main pond. Small BG will congregate where the water runs out of the pipe in a big bunch. Two or three will actually wedge themselves underneath the pipe where there is a concrete void and set right at the edge of swift current. A few will swim constantly right in the main current stream. The other day I witnessed a bunch of BG swimming up the tube. They would be gone for a while inside the tube to be eventually flushed back out to the big pond, only to do it all over again.

Around my diffusers at times there will be hundreds of small BG that ride the water current to the top and be spilled out to the side only to do it again. It is like a vertical conveyor belt of small BG.

So I know the fish at times enjoy some current. How much they need it or it benefits them? No idea. Or if it is harmful if it is constant with no place for the fish to rest? Again no idea.

If a pond is subject to significant wind, it is surprising how much current waves can actually create. Pond dye will disperse throughout the pond in a relative short amount of time if there is wind.

Last edited by snrub; 06/27/16 09:30 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine