If you open the hole up to 2" you can catch 4" GSF but you have to haul them in before they finish the food. Otherwise with the larger hole they can find their way out too easily. I find 15 minutes works well. Enough time for several of them to find their way to the bait but not so long they finish eating.

I have not tried it yet in the traps, but my feed dealer got in some Aquamax LMB feed and I took a couple bags. (Was supposed to be AM MVP for me but the they got the order wrong). I have been using large chunk dog food for bait and it works well. But this AM LMB should be the cats meow for minnow trap bait. 45% protein with fish attractant. I think it is going to be my new minnow trap bait. The pieces are large and should take a while for the small fish to tear apart. The problem with regular fish good is some or all of the pellets fall through the mesh making a bag or some other inconvenient bait holder needed. Large chunks like the dog food or the Aquamax Large Mouth Bass feed just drop in the trap and throw in the water.

If you want to have some fun with your feed trained BG, just throw in a few AM LMB chunks and watch them go nuts trying to devour it. I've seen them knock it plumb up in the air hitting it so hard. Till a 3# CC comes along and it is gone! Hope some day I will actually see a LMB hit one.

Last edited by snrub; 06/16/16 11:22 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine