Thank you Bob Lusk! Ok, we can all hug each other now, and keep on plugging along... LOL. I appreciate the attitude, the opinions, the science, the experiences, and the feedback.

I just don't understand how largemouth bass get exempted from the outbreeding depression that may result from hybridization and time. If the scientific community decides to separate these subspecies into distinct species (I assume for good reason), then I would have an even more difficult time with the idea that largemouth bass are exempt. I realize that there is a natural intergrade zone and that many large fish have been intergrades. I still feel as if many of the intergrades, especially individuals that are many generations down the Fx road, may be limited in some form or fashion.

Part of the reason that we at Overton Fisheries offer pure strain largemouth bass genetics is to keep things simple at our hatchery, but to still provide options for clientele. You can stock northern largemouth or florida largemouth (lone star legacy bass), or you can make your own super F1s by stocking both strains together.

On a personal level, I intend to make it my duty to be a steward of the Lone Star Legacy Bass genetics. I intend to preserve and improve upon, if possible, the pure strain genetics that I have acquired. These genetics have a solid history and a great story, and you certainly can't find them everywhere.

As far as the catchability issue goes there are a lot of factors involved. I consider most all of the northern largemouth genetics available now to be a "domesticated" fish, as they are very easily pellet-trained (can train on day 1 as 2" fish), and they (if feed trained) may follow you around the pond hoping for a hand-out. The northern strain are no doubt more ASSERTIVE (willing to try anything) than the florida strain. If you stock F1s that were produced from feed-trained northern stock, then the F1s will get a lot of the assertive behavior from the northern counterpart. On the other hand, our Lone Star Legacy Bass are a florida strain and can be considered a wild type. The florida largemouth bass strains are difficult to feed train, and have stronger natural instincts for survival, so more difficult to catch. Also depends on pond size, fishing pressure, live bait/artificials, stocking density, baitfish availability, etc, just to name a few of the factors..

It's ALL about the fish!