If your fishery tends to ice over during the winter season, then you are most likely too far north to gain anything from stocking pure Florida genetics.

Stocking pure genetics (as opposed to a mix of F1s) gives you something to work with down the road. As long as the genetic purity is not contaminated then you can manage your population by catch and release as well as selective harvest, and possibly even IMPROVE on the performance and growth potential in your gene pool. For example, I am on my third year of saving/planting seeds from heirloom Black Cherry tomato plants. I collect seeds each year from the strongest, fastest growing, most disease resistant plants, with the largest and most flavorful fruit. I plant these selected seeds the following year, and seem to have improved significantly compared to the performance of the original seed stock. You can't do this when starting with hybrid stock.

Having pure florida genetics also puts you into a seller's market once your fishery needs to be harvested. We pay good $ for adult florida largemouth stock that are harvested from clients lakes to be re-sold to other clients who want to improve on their gene pool. But we have ZERO interest in or demand for adult size intergrades or northerns.

Moreover, stocking our Lone Star Legacy Bass in your new lake or pond gives you something that STILL HAS A NAME even after several generations of reproduction. But if you stock the F1s or mix the stains originally, then several generations down the road you will have "mutts*." **credit Dave Davidson

It's ALL about the fish!