Thanks for the graphic, again. So the two different subspecies of largemouth bass (Northern and Florida) could be designated as distinctly different species after all? Do we not have enough information to make this determination just yet?? What are we waiting on to make this determination? And what would be the implications?

If those "biologists in the field" are successful in officially separating these into different species altogether, then that would imply that the Largemouth Bass (Northern) and Florida Largemouth Bass genetics are more distinct and distant from each other than we thought originally.

Another implication of this finding may be that hybridizing the two different species would result in possibly even more serious degradation of the integrity of the genetics of the original parental species after the F1 generation.

So what are some other examples of quality specimens produced from long-term (past the F1 generation) hybridization across distinct fish species lines? Hybrid Catfish? Hybrid Bluegill? Hybrid Stripers? Tiger Trout? Hybrid Crappie? None of the above. These are just a few easy examples of those crosses that don't work well (or at all) past the F1 generation. Correct me if I am wrong, but same rules apply across the board to all plants and animals.

We have a great deal of experience producing largemouth bass fingerlings, and we even produced and stocked the F1 fingerlings for many years. We were not happy with the long-term results of our F1 stocking program based on electrofishing surveys performed years down the road. In addition, we have surveyed lakes that were stocked originally with F1 bass and have not been impressed. So, while I am most definitely not testing genetic markers nor conducting a proper scientific study, I do insist that my experience matters, and I am trying to move forward with a more successful long-term strategy and program to recommend for my clients.

I believe that we need to take a closer look at long-term effects of largemouth bass hybridization (past the F1 generation) and be prepared to accept that these hybrids are governed by the same laws of nature as everything else.

Stocking lakes and ponds with pure genetics from the start does not eliminate the possibility of hybridization down the road (from contamination of gene pool from outside source), and does not protect you from negative effects of inbreeding, but at least this practice does not PROMOTE hybridization.

It's ALL about the fish!