Here's is an email to Jed Pearson district II biologist in Indiana.

Jed,

I have to bother you one more time. I have an individual giving me grieve for taking crappies from a public lake and planting them into my pond. He feels since it's illegal in *snip* his state is must be in Indiana.

As far as I know as long as I have a fishing license, stay within an size or bag limit, and the fish don't come from outside of Indiana I am legally free to place them in my pond. Is that correct? Of course I cannot sell them.

Thanks,

Cecil

Response:

Cecil – yes, you are correct.

Is the guy sure that *snip* his state prohibits it? Can he provide a link that says so on *snip* his states DNR site? Is he confusing private ponds versus waters that may contain state-owned fish.

Here is a link I found pertaining to *snip* his state:

Q: Do I need a permit to stock fish in my lake or pond?

A: Yes. In most instances you must have a Public Waters Stocking Permit from the *snip* Department of Natural Resources to stock fish in your lake. A permit is not required if there is only one property owner on the lake AND the lake does not have any connections to any other bodies of water.

Last edited by esshup; 04/27/16 10:39 AM. Reason: political fall out clean up

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.