Thanks for the information regarding siphoning. It was reassuring to hear how quickly a 6” line will siphon out a pond. If it will do 8 acres 8 feet in less than a week, it will hopefully do about 12 acres 15 feet in three weeks or less (some of that 12 acres will be much shallower than 15 average). I’ll also check into getting the PVC ball valve vs. gate valve if the ball valve is cheaper. That could save me some money and work just as well. I’m now feeling pretty confident regarding the siphon system.

A couple other questions…

We dug the spillway down 5 feet from the top of the dam. After reading and talking with others more, I'm really tempted to try filling back in about three feet of that (we stacked the removed dirt nearby). If I do that, the lake will be slightly larger and obviously three feet deeper. My island will be smaller unless I use dug out topsoil to build it up - which I probably would. Would I really gain anything appreciable by the extra lake depth / size or is that something that could always be done later? Lake is about 650 yards long, probably about 650 feet wide at widest, somewhat curving, no trees from west for about a mile. Somewhat protected from other directions. What are your thoughts as to leaving only two feet of freeboard?

Eight months ago, I couldn't have dreamed it, but now I'm seriously considering not stocking largemouth bass. I'm really considering stocking smallmouth bass, hybrid stripers, and walleyes as the predator fishes. I realize that reproduction of any of those species may not occur and that I would run the risk of bluegill stunting at 4" or so. We have some other ponds with largemouth bass up to 7 pounds that I could transfer from if needed. Some have told me that this arrangement could work, others have said stock largemouth, bluegill, redear, and forget it. What are your thoughts about not initially stocking largemouth? Should I stock some of the smallmouth bass, hybrid stripers, and walleyes just to satisfy my desire for variety; but stock largemouth to make sure it works with as little management as possible?

Thanks!

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]