Originally Posted By: ewest
There is extensive research/data on YP overpopulation in the absence of strong apex predator populations (LMB and or possibly others).

But how many ponds out there that are not specifically managed for single sex perch don't have an apex predator like largemouth or smallmouth bass with their yellow perch? Most of the DNR websites and handbooks on pond management warn that they will overpopulate regardless, which I believe is flat out wrong. And obviously we know better.

And then you have Michigan's DNR that says it's just a matter of time before bluegills will overpopulate a pond so they advocate only hybrid bluegill.

I realize that they need to keep pond management "keep it simple stupid" for the average Joe, but I have to wonder how much knowledge SOME of these people have regarding ponds. I know when I studied fisheries the only pond management education I remember was hatchery production ponds. I do remember a text from Bennet that had some pond recreation information in it, but it was not emphasized.

The great thing about this site is so many folks thinking outbof the box.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/20/16 12:13 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.