The pumps I like to use are small submersible pumps known as mag drive pumps (Magnet Drive) that are very simple and use a magnet to turn an impeller in a magnetized well. I like them because they are fairly cheap, last a long time, and are very efficient. If you don't add an optional item to created a centripetal flow (to be covered later) you can move all the water in a 250 gallon system on 60 watts.

You can get them Ebay, Amazon, or just about an pet supply website. There are several brands and they all seem to be just as good.

Here is what they look like:

They come sizes that range from about 200 gph to 2400 gph in this particular style of pump.

The size I prefer to use for my 250 gallon systems (tank 150 gallons, Clarifier barrel 50 gallons, and moving bed biofilter 50 gallons) is know as a model 7 which means it pumps 700 gph at zero head.

The cord is sealed into the unit. It's important not to move the pump via the cord as this will damage the seal!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/28/16 04:48 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.