Originally Posted By: Bill D.
+1 to what everyone else has said. If I could have a do over, I would spend a year or two having fun with playing with forage habitat and trying to fill every niche in the food chain. That would include getting vegetation going, crawfish, scuds, robust minnow species, etc. When I could walk across the pond on the backs of forage, time to stock the main event! smile

Bill the one downfall I can see with that approach is, what if a pair of undesirable fish accidentally or otherwise get into your BOW. Say for example a pair of GSF or a pair of BH. What if a Kingfisher (or neighbor kid) decides to stock your pond for you. Or a pair of BH babies in that batch of FHM. You know how this drill goes already.

I can just see that a person would need to be EXTREMELY careful of what went in originally, because if something unwanted gets started it might nearly take over the pond in reproduction before a person even knows he has a problem.

If the desired fish are stocked fairly quickly, any accidental unwanted fish would at least be competing with the desired fish to get established. With a pond full of forage and a pair of GSF with no competition.............. oh my!

As long as you do everything "perfectly" two years of forage building might be great. I personally am not good enough at anything to do perfect.

Last edited by snrub; 01/27/16 08:11 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine