Originally Posted By: ewest
Fish 1 and 2 from the early part of the thread look like HBG possibly Fx (GSF x BG) but look to have higher % GSF genes. The pic above looks like the highest % GSF and may be a very high % GSF . I would call it a GSF not a hybrid.

Eric I wonder if fish could be like some other species in that the offspring can 1. some look mostly like the father species, 2. some look mostly like the mother species, 3. and many have an intermediate look with characteristics in combination of both. I'm thinking of cattle or even humans where characteristics of the offspring can be anything from one extreme to the other, but with most showing features of both.

I don't know. Just asking. In other words, if a GSF female eggs are fertilized by a male BG, can a few of the offspring look more closely resembling the GSF, a few more resemble a BG, with most looking like what we typically think of HBG????

If that is possible, a hybrid showing more GSF parentage could be either the offspring of an F1 HBG x BG or simply a regular BG x GSF hybrid with natural variability leading it to look more like a GSF.

Like I said. I don't know. Just asking. Maybe it does not work the same way with fish as it does some other species. How much natural variability is there within a HBG spawn or between different male x female pairs?

Last edited by snrub; 01/20/16 11:07 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine