Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
One thing to keep in mind when selecting structure is to ask the question: How snag proof is it? This does not only apply to loosing lures but also will that strong big fish wrap your line around the structure and you never land that fish? Thus you leave a trophy fish 'out there' stuck on a lure. Will that 'trapped' prized, expensive to produce, trophy survive or die when it is wrapped up on structure?

That scenario is not a deal breaker...it's just time to jump in and play follow the fishing line.

The summer I got home from the military years ago I was fishing Rend Lake with my BIL - for anyone that has fished that lake it has a LOT of snags.

I hooked into what I thought was an 7-8 lb LMB or so...big pig. She dove deep and wrapped around a standing tree - I felt her do it...I said to my brother in law 'oh no you don't'...handed him the rod and dove in.

I wish he'd have had a camera when I came up out of that water, fish first. Had to go down about 10 feet...at that point in my life I'd spent a ton of time a good bit deeper than that...nooooo problem.

She was only about a 5 lb LMB. But still worth it.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous