Bill,

Actually partial flow through can work as a way to dilute nitrates, and add fresh water for warmwater systems too. So that's option number 4.

Case in point: I have a garden hose and garden nozzle that I use that is connected to a shut off valve, waterline, and my well tanks for water changes and misc. uses. Over time it developed a kink near the end from bending it to fill the iron removal dual tank system, and scour out the clarifier tank after draining. This even though the hose was supposed to be kink resistant. Cut off the section of hose with the kink and tried to use two different hose mending kits to reattach the nozzle, and it was less than satisfactory -- even with a hose clamp.

Anyway, if the shutoff valve is left on the nozzle drips. Decided to use that to my advantage. Clamped it to the clarifer tank and let it drip into the tank. Over 24 hours it add a few inches to the system, but not enough to overflow it, as long as I did periodic flushes with the knife gate valve on the external standpipe on the floor. I do this anyway twice a day (about 4 gallons total per day).

No worries about cooling the water or iron buildup, as the flow is too low to be an issue. If I wanted to increase the flow by adjusting the nozzle, I could install an overflow to the floor drain.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/09/16 01:00 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.