I share a pond with 2 other neighbors with me being the newcomer to the neighborhood. The 1.75 acre pond is old (30-40 yrs.) with a lot of sediment, no aeration, and lots of trees around it (willow, cottonwood, maple, walnut, etc.). Last year the joint pond owners got together to discuss our thoughts and future hopes/dreams for the pond. They mentioned that they made an attempt years earlier to "open up the springs a bit more" but had limited success.

Do springs become clogged over time and is there a recommended approach to "opening them up"? I've never heard of such a thing.

I'm currently researching DIY dredging via a trash pump. I don't know if excessive silt/muck can choke off a spring and removal of the material would allow these springs to "breath" again or not. I'm new to pond management and I'm learning as I go. I attached a pic of the pond from Google Earth. The springs are supposedly located in the lower left arm of the pond.

Thanks!

Attached Images
Pond.JPG

Share a 1.7 acre, kidney shaped pond with 2 neighbors; Stocked with bass and bluegill