Originally Posted By: Waterridge
I believe I have added a couple of pictures to help explain my question. I have a newly renovated pond that is surrounded by dirt everywhere and mud when it rains just because it is a renovated pond. I am very excited about it and want to make sure I do all I can on the front end to enjoy this pond for a long time. We plan on building a house on this property. My question........the main water run off is not surprisingly in a low spot and runs off into the pond. Because it is all dirt and mud, it appears that some dirt makes it's way into the pond each time is rains. I can notice some small mud buildup at the entry point of the pond. I plan on spreading grass seed all around the pond which should help grab ahold of dirt, but would it be a good idea to line this Chanel of runoff with rocks? I plan on doing this over by the spillway and don't plan on doing this around the entire pond, but I would like to hear what others have done and any recommendations the forum has. I really appreciate the help and all the other topics this forum provides to help me learn as I go.

FWIW I used rip rap in the areas prone to heavy erosion. In the photo below you can see I even ran the rip rap a ways up into the major waterways feeding the pond. I also seeded and used about a 1000 feet of erosion mat in the lesser waterways. Not saying this is the right way to do it, cause I'm not a pro, but it has worked fantastically. No more chocolate milk water after a heavy rain! smile

Edit: The pic shows low pool. Recent heavy rains have now put all the shoreline rip rap under water but the grasses I have planted are now holding the water as well.

Attached Images
Shore Erosion control.jpg
Last edited by Bill D.; 12/13/15 10:14 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!