Another vote for getting a Ruger 10-22. They are nice versatile guns, relatively cheap to shoot, low recoil, and will be good training/plinking/varmint gun for under 100 yds.

The AR platform is the equivalent of a 10-22 in a centerfire rifle. You can buy many different uppers for it, change them yourself and have a number of different rifles while only really buying "one" rifle.

As for self defense, I strongly recommend taking classes from a well known school. AND having your significant other do the same with you. The legalities change from state to state, and there are specific things that one really should do to not only protect your family from bodily harm, but to protect your family from financial harm if you get sued or taken to court. A friend of mine goes to a school in Alabama at least twice a year, and there are schools in Texas. If you want a recommendation, I can ask him - he's very well versed in home defense.

The school that he goes to has specific classes ranging from generic first time people to weapon and situation specific classes. i.e. vehicle vs. home, handgun vs. rifle vs. shotgun.

Whatever route you decide to take with a gun, when shooting please wear good hearing protection. If using foam ear plugs, make sure you know the proper technique to use when putting them in your ear. You don't just jam them in.

Words of advice from a guy with hearing loss due to shooting while using hearing protection....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).