CC are kind of not the most popular fish with many on this forum, because of the management problems they can create later. And I may have that same opinion of them in a few years.

But in defense of CC, they are the fastest growing fish (if fed) and will reach nice angling and eating size before anything else. To date, I'm glad they are in my pond. Wife and I have enjoyed eating a bunch of them this year and a 2-3# CC on the end of an ultra light rod and small jig is a pretty nice fight for a guy like me that has not really done very much fishing till the last couple years. In the past I was never that much of a fan of catfish meat. But I'm telling you, our fast growing CC fed commercial fish food are about as good of tasting fish as any I've had. Wife breads up the fillets and pan frys them.......... yumm.

So don't feel too bad about stocking CC, and if you think you stocked a few too many, just start harvesting at the smallest size you want to fillet or eat. Feed them a good feed and harvest all you can catch when they get big enough and enjoy them. You and I both may be cussing the management of them as our ponds get older, but right now I like the CC in my pond a lot.

Last edited by snrub; 10/06/15 07:45 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine