Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I'm familiar with Tripp Lite and they do build good stuff. I just don't like the idea of energy wasted in the form of heat, during the inversion process. It just strikes me as so inefficient. But, such systems are providing power in a lot of places, so I know the technology is proven. It's just a glitch in my thought process.

Understood Spark - Inverter efficiencies are the cost of doing business if that's what is going to work in the situation, so you plan for it.

Pretty much everything I have is 230VAC and 24VDC. When I looked into this route for a backup system, I would need it to at least run for 12 hours. Adding it all up with batteries and such, it put it over the 4K range, and I thought that was just way to silly to do this.

$700.00 for an electric start generator. 24VDC watchdog PLC that runs from small batteries and only eats 7.5 watts (when it's really thinking), a few contactors in the works, then the watchdog fires up the generator, main PLC comes online, VFD's all boot and start spinning motors. Back to normal in about a minute.

I just got a cute little 1/3hp electric motor to replace an energy hog motor on one of my mag drive pumps. I was intrigued with the specs on this. Not only is it Vector Duty, but exceeds the DOE small motor energy rule that took effect March of this year. I won't go into that rule because it could be depressing to the extent that you are still stuck with less efficient motors on all the popular canned motors used in aeration equipment. It was supposed to include all motors, but it got botched.

Someday tho, because they can make motors that are almost 100% efficient, in both single and three phase.

BTW, the official word on watt ratings for AC solenoids is totally thermal, as in heat dissipation. Those others that muck up the works are not playing by the rules.