Tom, Cecil, et al: Eagre, Rodeo, Aquamaster, AquaPro, AquaNeat, etc. are all 53.8% active-ingredient (a.i.) formulations of glyphosate which are labeled for aquatic-use. Although glyphosate is the same a.i. found in ROUNDUP, don't use it for aquatic treatments as it contains a specific surfactant (tallow amine type) that is not overly friendly to desireable aquatic organisms - including fish. The aquatic formulations may be safely used, in conjunction with an aquatic-labeled surfactant, in ponds, streams and lakes without any water-use restrictions (except that an established set-back distance must be maintained from active potable-water intakes). The products should be mixed with water at a 3/4% solution (1 oz/gal.) and applied on a spray-to-wet basis or applied in a broadcast fashion at the rate of 3 qts./acre. in sufficient water to obtain good coverage. Depending upon the quality of the tank-mixed surfactant, I'd generally suggest adding 1 - 2 oz. of surfactant per gal. of solution in most types of hand-held, back-pack or power-sprayers. Optimum results are obtained when treatments are made at or after the catkin formation stage. At this point, the plant's physiology changes gears from "new growth" to "reproductive & nutrient storage". Accordingly, the odds of obtaining maximum root control are greatest during this period (and until fall transition occurs).
On another note, unlike our northern counterparts, ice on Texas-ponds has been a rare to non-existant occurance over the past several winters. Bill, your suggestion might have merit in other regions - but such attempts have been fruitless down here. Lastly, $74/qt. is rather steep, considering the recent and rapid drop in glyphosate pricing. Regards, Kelly