Fishman,Cecil, Tom: Cecil what did you mix with Eagre besides water? If Cecil looks on the label of Eagre, I'll bet Cecil all the trout in his pond that it will say glyphosate as an active ingredient. I say this because Stoney Creek says the product needs an activator and Eagre is only for plants around the pond not submerged plants. Plus this is the only glysophate type acting product in their catalog. Sounds a lot like a glyphosate to me. Since Roundup went off patent there are a lot of copycat glysophate products hitting the market.

TOM: have you tried cutting the cattails off below the water line in fall and allowing the ends to be submerged under ice all winter? We've had pretty good luck getting a non- chemical kill this way. The stems have to be above water during winter dormancy for the roots to get oxygen thru the porus stems. Without oxygen most of the roots below the waterline die during dormancy and do not regrow in the spring. I don't know if this works in ice free areas of the country. We discovered this from lily pond owners who cut off the cattail stems and submerged the pot for winter. Cattails would not regrow in spring.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management