AC solenoids can get confusing at times because not all list the values the same.

VA = VoltAmps = Volts x Amps, which also = watts. Holding VA is the same as continuous watt draw while the solenoid is energized.

Inrush VA is the surge to get the valve to move, pretty much the same thing as when you start an electric motor, but not as drastic.

VA and KVA (Thousand VA) are more or less transformer rating terms, so a transformer will have a VA or KVA rating on what it can actually handle. It's easier to add up the VA of devices (without confusion) to properly size a control transformer.

I've never paid attention to the watt rating of AC solenoids because we always use the VA for sizing the transformer, surge protection, controlling devices, fuses or circuit breakers... With that said, I was a bit curious as to why the watt rating on AC solenoids was lower than the VA. For the most part, it appears to be a measure of output power to do work, kinda like a motor, but some rate it as heat dissipation, kinda like holding a 20 watt light bulb in your hand.

I called up an engineer today that has been selling solenoid valves for over 30 years. Went over the VA stuff, which we all know, then asked him what the watt rating on your AC valves you sell mean? He said no one has ever asked that question and he didn't know, but will make calls and find out.

With DC, it's straight up. Watts are watts! Although, there are some new electronically enhanced DC valves that take on the characteristics of AC valves with really high inrush, but much lower holding.

Yeah, US is adopting more European standards for control. I should probably stop here to avoid scaring myself eek