Here's some more info from an ASCO distributor on an aquaponcs forum I frequent. Keep in mind I'm just throwing out information I am getting. Not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone, and I'm appreciative of any feedback I get both good and bad.

Cecil,

A good quality solenoid valve such as ASCO or Parker will be rated for 100% duty cycle, so it is safe and typically operated with the valve energized for years.   The power consumption on a 3/8" N.O. ASCO valve is .21 watts holding (yes, 0.21 watts) so it won't generate hardly any heat.  Even the inrush on the coil when you first energize the coil is only 50 VA (0.42 watts on a 120/60 coil)   I can't speak to some of the import knock-offs.....

I am familiar with spring return ball valves (we rep those too), but have not used (or even heard of a capacitor to use in this arrangement).....but my focus is in the commercial/industrial boiler world, I just get involved with valves as it relates to our core business.  The questions that come to mind; 
  • if the capacitor should fail, what does the valve do?  (seems like it might "freeze" in what ever position it was)[/*]
  • if a N.O. valve coil should burnout, the valve will go open (it has no choice).  at this point you will give your fish a nice O2 boost, but no harm-no foul...[/*]
I really like this idea of having a fail-safe backup to keep the fish okay with a loss of power, keep us posted........

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/22/15 03:37 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.