Originally Posted By: Tbar
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
O.k. for the ignorant among us what is a "cattle guard" and how does it work? I have a guess but...

Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing! Interesting that the fencing is done differently than up here. At least the way my dad and I have done it. Here the fencing comes in rolls and we stretch it as he put it up.

And we use limestone and crushed limestone for our lanes up here. I guess it's depends on what is available.

Regarding the fencing material cattle panels are not normally used for this application, the roll material is. In my case I chose the panels because they are much heavier gauge wire and I was putting t-posts every 8'. Also I didn't want to cut my trees back to the recommended 50' either side of the fence(I like my trees) so if a limb falls and damages the fence its easy to replace a panel.

Here is why I like using the cattle panels. When the guy shredding next to the fence line accidentally backs into it only one panel gets damaged instead of pulling and stretching a whole roll of field fence or multiple strands of barb wire. The tie wires broke loose between the panels preventing further damage. Simple easy fix to R & R it.